Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

It's 11:30pm on Thanksgiving.
This day that was based on the premise of being thankful is almost coming to a close.
Although Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday (I mean, who DOESN'T love great food, crazy family, and a reminder to give thanks) giving thanks this year was probably harder for me than it has been in a while.
Thankfulness has always been such a big part of my walk with God.
When everything else starts to look bleak and dreary, I can usually bring myself back up and make things just a little bit brighter by reminding myself of how much He has blessed me over the course of my life.
I can be thankful for the sunrise, for my job, for the cafeteria making biscotti occasionally....
But it has gotten harder for me none the less.
Even today, on a day named for thanksgiving, I found myself having to remind myself about what the day was all about.
I had to remind myself to be thankful for having a warm bed to sleep in, food on my plate, my crazy loud family, and my friends who feel more like blood.
Even my crazy spazz of a cat who brings my live mice from the basement only to let them loose in the living room and chasing them across my feet, making me scream like a little girl.
True story.
I really am a girl.
But, I think it's simply part of the grieving process that I'm walking through.
I need to remind myself to do things that I used to do out of nature, slowly building them back up into my daily routine.
Thanksgiving was just another reminder of how much I need to continue to grow, continue to press on, continue to heal, and continue to become more like God.
And just a blaring reminder of how much I truly need Him.
I guess that's the biggest thing that I can be thankful for this year.
No matter what happens, my God is good.
My saying, although I have not posted it hear before, my saying these past few months to a year has been "Shit happens, but God is good."
(Maybe I should write a post about my view of swearing...)
Anyhoo....
God is good.
He is so good.
And for that, I am eternally grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walking it out too babe.....

So grateful for you and your brother......It would be so much harder without you both.

God is GOOD......

Did you just use a bad word again??????

Mama