Saturday, July 10, 2010

In Case You Haven't Noticed...

It's hot out. Really. Really. Hot.
And by hot, I mean for the past few days my apartment has been somewhere around 95 degrees. Yes. Hot.
In fact, it's been so hot that my boss, who is an ex-marine and was stationed in Iraq for a while walked out from the building that we were working in said, "Whoa, flashback. I suddenly feel like I'm in Iraq again!" Oh, yes. As hot as Iraq.
Because it has been so hot, Monday and Tuesday night I camped out in one of my friend's rooms because it was slightly cooler.
Wednesday night I slept on my living room floor with a fan directed towards my head.
Then last night I came up with a, well, more "creative solution" as my mother so handily put it.
On campus, people are able to rent out buildings for conferences, gatherings, and, hey, why not? family reunions! This whole week the Olmstead family has rented out the biggest dorm on campus, which also happens to be the only air conditioned dorm. Now, although it's a big family, there is NO WAY that any one family could fill this dorm! And also, because very few, if any, of the family members go to Roberts, they have to leave the doors unlocked so that the family can go in and out of the building without any problems. This also leaves the doors unlocked for poor souls like me who just can't stand the heat any more.
Oh, yes. A friend and I spent the night in this air conditioned dorm.
HALLELUIA!
What was funny was that my friend Shorty went to the dorm before I did, and when she went up to second floor, she took the elevator... Which also happened to have some of the family members in it. OOPS! Now Shorty being 4'10" and just about as cute as can be gets in this elevator with two family members with a backpack on and a pillow in hand. She looks at them and says, "Hi! I live here. It's too hot in my dorm. Can I sleep here?"
How can you say no to that?
They laughed, smiled, and said yes, and when they all got off the elevator, Shorty went and found a room for the two of us to sleep in and cranked the air conditioning. Oh how much more do you enjoy air conditioning after you've lived in a 95 degree dorm for days!
I came up to the room not 15 minutes later and we slept in an amazingly chilly room.
Best night's sleep in the past week :)

No comments: