Sunday, September 19, 2010

Thankfulness

Warning: Harsh truths will ensue. Leave now if you don't want to hear it.
The rest of you, buckle up, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Lately I have been going through a season of thankfulness. God's been kind enough to give me a revelation of how utterly blessed we are. Every time that I seem to go into a complaining mood or a sense of ungratefulness, this sense of how completely blessed I am comes up again. I may not like my job, but guess what, I am so blessed to have a paying job! I may not like living in a dorm, but I am blessed beyond belief to have a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in and a hot shower to bathe in! I don't necessarily enjoy eating at my school's cafeteria every meal, but guess what! I am blessed enough to be able to eat three times a day!
The problem with this though is that because I have been given this concept of how truly blessed we are, I get frustrated very easily when people are disrespectful or ungrateful.
We have been given so much and yet we destroy other people's property, we expect people to clean up after us, we think everything is replaceable!
When you look at the world and then you look at most Christians, they don't look any different. Christians go out together and leave just as big of a mess (if not bigger sometimes!) as the people of this world! We think we're better than them, but sometimes, we're worse. And that directly contradicts God's Word.
My all time favourite verse is Romans 12:2, which says, "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing, and perfect will."
Did you get that?
We cannot look like the world, we must look like GOD! If we don't look like God, we don't know His will. If we don't act how Jesus acts, we cannot understand God's perfect ways.
We are to be thankful, take care of the things that God has entrusted to us, and look like Jesus.
I am not saying by any means that I am even close to that point, but what I am saying is that I need to grow in it, and I know many many Christians who also need to grow in this area.
Think about it. Let God reveal to you how truly blessed you really are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you are in this wonderful place and allowing God to stretch you. You are paying attention and listening to him, even when He whispers. Becoming ever aware of how we appear to others. Not to be a "pleaser of men", but to represent God "well". You are maturing, in all ways....and this is good. As far as being grateful....interesting that God has us in that same place. He is reveiling to me how I was not always shown how to be grateful as I was growing up, but at the same time how truly important it is to learn and embrace this now. Not to allow one day to go by without realizing how truly blessed I am and to be abundantly grateful.

Thanks for sharing your heart girly. Your mom adores you!!
Mama