Saturday, March 26, 2011

Of the Story

When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I." He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."
Genesis 22:9-12

I have been reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins lately. 
Today I am reading a chapter called "The 'Good' Book and The Changing Moral Zeitgeist". 
In this chapter, Dawkins is basically attempting to tear apart the bible, saying that all the stories in it are irrelevant to our lives, that they are a bunch of irrelevant, irrational stories that should have no place in our lives.
One of the stories that he attempted to tear apart is the one above. 
He tries to make this sequence in Abraham's life seem stupid.
He tries to convince us that we shouldn't follow after a God who would command a man to sacrifice his only son and then turn out to be "only joking after all".
I think Dawkins is missing the point.
I feel as though most of the bible is a beautiful narrative of God romancing the human race. 
I read sections of the bible, such as this, and see the wonderful foreshadowing that God set up hundreds, even thousands of years before the miraculous event of my Saviour's death and resurrection. 
I see a constant thread running through the bible always pointing towards the life of Christ and the redemption that comes through loving Him. 
It's beautiful.
So, Dawkins, I hope one day you can see what I see. 
Beauty and love. 


Abraham's Sacrifice
Rembrant

No comments: