Thursday, August 19, 2010

Running Water

As I'm sitting here thinking about all that God has done in my life, I realize that I'm thirsty. So, like anyone would, I grab a cup and go to the faucet. When I turn on the faucet, I don't think about the pipes or the filtration systems, or how the water got to me, I just think about the water that is coming out. Cool, clean water.
God spoke this to me recently, and ever since then, I've been almost haunted by the thought. In so many ways this idea of running water expresses they way we should relate to God. We are to be vessels unto God, and this is made very clear in the bible, but at the same time, the vessel is not to become greater than the water. The vessel should not use the water to get noticed.
This is something that really bothers me a lot. I have almost like a righteous anger come up in me when I feel like people are using God to get attention or even make themselves know to other people. Nothing good I do is because of me. Nothing I say, no revelation I get, is because of me. Any wisdom I have is from God and I feel like people should know that.
If I am using God to get attention for myself, there is something wrong with my attitude.
I am just the pipe.
My challenge for you is an attitude check. (I know I constantly need attitude checks!) Pray and see if you are using God for attention, and if you are, what you should do about it.
Be the vessel that only points to God.

No comments: