Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Righteous Passion

In Matthew 23:5, Jesus is talking about the Pharisees and He says, "Everything they do is done for men to see." Lately I have had a pretty strong opposition to people "using" God to get attention. Everything I've seemed to read and talk to people about seems to come around to this point at some point or another.
In my devotionals the other day, this came up in my reading of Matthew 23. Jesus called out the Pharisees, the people who were all about religion and wanted prestigious positions because of their religiosity as opposed to their relationship with God. He cried out to them, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you HYPOCRITES! You shut the Kingdom of Heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to!"
Because of the religiosity of the Pharisees, they would never get to see the true Glory of God.
In verses 25 through 28 it says, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside will be clean also.
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean! In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."
Now, please tell me how we are any better than the Pharisees.
We all "use" God in some way to get attention for ourselves. We all stand on the street corners with our arms flung wide praying loudly to God like the Pharisees.
But who are we to do that?!
Please, please tell me what right we have to make ourselves greater than the Creator!
"On the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness!" 
We are all FULL of hypocrisy and wickedness! Who are we to expect anything better than the flames of Hell? Who are we to try and make ourselves greater than God?! Who are we?!?
WE ARE DIRT!
I am nothing! I am not good! There is nothing within my fleshly body that can cause me to do good! I was made from dirt and that's about as good as I get!!
Any good thing I do is because God is working in me, not because I did it! So who am I to take the recognition!!
Stop over spiritualizing things! 
You are no better than the Pharisees when you do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you are getting to the "true meat" in the word. It's always good to check our motives and our hearts. Love you.

Mama