Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crossroads

Jeremiah 6:16
This is what the Lord says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls.
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'


So often we come to a crossroads in life. Whether they are crossroads of major highways, the roads that can lead us quickly to or from truth, or crossroads of back roads, the choice between a smoother or bumpier ride, life is ultimately full of crossroads.
As I have lived my short life of almost twenty years, I have been through my fair share of major and minor crossroads. What college will I go to? What will my degree be? Will I do my laundry today or tomorrow? All crossroads.
But what is hard for me is seeing people come to crossroads in their lives and watching them make the wrong turn, and me feeling as if I am helpless to stop them.
It's interesting. I found this verse tonight and have been meditating on it, praying about it. Am I on the correct path, or have I made a wrong turn along the way? I can only hope that I have followed after God's heart, but there is that part of me, that small voice that I am so terrified of, the voice of my flesh, that cries out those simple words in Jeremiah that are so powerful. But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'
Is that what I have said to God at some point?
Have I screamed in His face that I will not walk in His ways? In His truth?
It sets that fear of God, that fear that I may not ultimately have the utmost control over my own flesh, stirring again.
This may just be the word that I have been waiting for.

No comments: