Friday, January 21, 2011

Hannah

I was reading through 1 Samuel today and something struck me.
Hannah was a woman who desired one thing, to have a son, but she could not attain that desire without God. It took her years of being barren to get to the point where she said to God, “If You will only look upon Your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget Your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life…”
She offered up her one desire to God saying that if He would grant her that desire, it would be put to use to further His kingdom.
As I read this, I realized that I am not that different from Hannah.
I am pouring years of my life, all of my time and energy, into pursuing this great desire of a psychological doctorate. I pray constantly about making the right choices in the classes that I’m taking, the relationships I’m building, the jobs and internships I’m pursuing, and the graduate programs I’m looking into.
If you asked me, I would have to say (good or bad) that this degree is my top priority.
My degree to me is the same as a son to Hannah.
I need to constantly offer up my degree, praying that when I get it I will use it to the full work of God. That I use it to glorify Him. 

No comments: