Thursday, September 22, 2011

True Love Waits

I've been playing more and more with the idea of getting a tattoo.
I have wanted for a long time now to make my body a canvas that I can add pieces of art or reminders of God's love to.
I have not gotten one up to this point mostly because of the desire to look professional when entering the work force, and making sure that it is actually something that I want to do.
But there is one that has been eating at my mind for the past month and a half, one that I think would be good for me in my healing process.
I have been thinking about getting the phrase "True Love Waits" in Hebrew tattooed on my left ring finger, right where a wedding band will one day sit.
There are two main reasons why I believe this would be good for me.
First off, it would be a constant reminder of how I want to be completely sure the next time a man comes into my life.
I want to be sure that I can love him unconditionally for all time, and that he will love me just as much, if not more.
I want to be sure before I give him my heart completely.
It would be a reminder that I don't want to give my heart away again and again, only to have it be broken.
It would be a reminder to not discuss marriage before the time has come that we are both one hundred percent sure that marriage is truly where we will end up.
After all, if it is true love, I should be willing to wait, as should he.
True love waits.
Secondly, the language that it would be written in is very near and dear to my heart.
My wonderful stepfather was working on becoming fluent in Hebrew when he passed.
One of the last times I saw him, he attempted to say the Hebrew alphabet for me.
He had a ring, that my brother now wears, that had Song of Solomon 6:3, "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine," in Hebrew on it.
It would be a reminder of him.
He would be able to be remembered when I get engaged, when I get married.
He would be present in a way.
And, it would be like him saying to me, like he so often did, "My Paigie girl, you need to wait for the best man for you."
It would come full circle.
Reminding me of my stepfather, of where God has me now, the man He is bringing me.
When I get married, the ring will cover it, and it won't show for the rest of my life.
I don't know when or if I will ever get around to getting it done.
(And my mama will have to approve first too)  ;)
But, the idea is beautiful in my mind...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm.....how about I buy you a beautiful ring that has that written on it in Hebrew? We could have it hand made.It could be your only Christmas present. It would be gorgeous and you could give it to your husband someday for him to wear on his pinky. Or better yet....you (and your husband...after he has worn it) could give it to YOUR daughter. It would be a reminder to her to wait. AND it would have been her mother's so she would love it even more. It occurs to me that this would be a better idea just incase your future husband DOESNT LIKE tatoos. :) I'm just sayin.....

David would like my idea.....:)

LOVE YOU!!!!
Mama