Thursday, October 7, 2010

Eleven Hundred

If you were given a bank card number and pin, and were allowed to spend $1100 anywhere, where would you spend it? An expensive boutique clothing store? At BestBuy on a tv? How about Kmart? No? Not Kmart?
Well then, YOU, my friend, are a higher class citizen than someone who steals a college student's card and pin number!
I went to withdraw $20 out of the ATM this morning, only to discover that there was a little over $1000 missing out of my checking account. I was obviously worried, scared, anxious, and a little bit angry. I called my bank, only to be put on hold for 20 minutes. I didn't have time. I went to class, stressing out the entire time I was there. When I got out of class, I biked down to the nearest bank of mine, and sat down with their customer service. An hour and a half later, I walked out knowing that someone had taken my card number and pin number, made a fake version of my card, and spent over a thousand dollars in Virginia Beach, most of that at a Kmart. Lucky for me, my bank is reimbursing all that money tomorrow, and they're giving me a new debit card with a new pin number.
Needless to say, it was quite a stressful day and I'm very ready for the break I get this weekend.

1 comment:

Kellie Scott-Reed said...

Paige, This happened to Uncle Rob and I a few years ago. It really is terrible. AT LEAST you caught it early on. They can really wipe you out. Shred everything and don't buy online. either way, you can't really prevent it much. Just keep an eye out!
Love you! Aunt Kellie