Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Redefining Beauty

What do we consider beauty to be?
I typed beauty into Google images and these are some of the things that came up:


Is it the perfect body? Being skinny and tan? Plump lips, prominent cheekbones, small nose, big eyes? Perfect teeth and hair? Eyebrows waxed, nails shaped? Makeup done up just right every day? Elegant clothing?
By these standards, who can be beautiful?
I know I'm certainly not beautiful by the worlds standards. But I try to be so often, and that is where I get into trouble.
We've made beauty, more accurately vanity, a god in our society. It is unattainable, and so many women are trapped into the rut of trying to reach that nirvana of beauty. We pluck, and trim, shape, wax, and starve ourselves to be something that we cannot be.
And I know at times I fall into this myself.
I wear a lot of makeup, and I know that sometimes this can become a vice for me. I get anxious about people seeing me without makeup, and God forbid I go anywhere without it! What would people think if they saw what I really looked like? It's a way for me to cover up my insecurities, to hide from the world behind a mask of sorts.
So, I decided to do an experiment. Can I go a week at school without makeup?
I'm on day three of this little experiment, and I've already gotten a variety of comments.
"You look nice without all that makeup!"
"...Are you feeling well?"
"You look horrible, you should get more sleep!"
"You know, your feminine features come out more without makeup."
It is interesting, if nothing else, how people react to it. I guess I need to just continually reminding myself that God made me beautiful, whether that beauty matches the world's standards or not.

Makeup vs. No Makeup

1 Peter 3:3-4 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner-self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

No comments: