Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Braids

When I was in junior high and high school, I would occasionally wear my hair in two matching braids.
I used to get picked on because of it.
People would tell me that I looked like I belonged in middle school or even elementary school.
Being that I didn't have any self-confidence at that point, it crushed me.
I vowed to never go out in public with two braids again.
Yesterday, I was planning on getting up early and showering in the morning.
My sleep schedule, the way it's been lately, did not allot me getting up on time.
So, I decided to do something completely uncalled for with my hair.
I threw it into two braids and tossed a hat over it.
I went out feeling self-conscious, waiting for the ridicule to come.
"You look stupid with those braids."
But I did not receive the negative feedback I was expecting.
Without me asking, people told me my hair was cute, that I looked adorable, that they liked the braids.
It was a pleasantly unexpected surprise.
It's funny how God will sometimes do that with you, I believe in an attempt to heal wounds that you didn't even know about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What.....no picture?? I would like to have seen you in all your cuteness!!

I personally always thought that you looked adorable with braids. But alas, I'm your mother. What else would I think? :)

Mom

Vic said...

It is wonderful how God heals us when we didn't even know we were still hurting from our past... I am so glad you shared this! Compliments are awesome!