Saturday, December 4, 2010

More Thoughts on Homosexuality and Christianity

I may be beating this concept to death, but considering this paper is basically my only homework right now, it has literally been all that is on my mind lately.
The other night I was working on some research on the topic when I came across a passage in Judith K. Balswick and Jack O. Balswick's book "Authentic Human Sexuality: An Integrated Christian Approach," that totally blew my mind. It wasn't so much that I believe what they were saying, but rather it gave me insight into the opposing argument that I did not previously have. I thought I would share with you this section:

Those who accept homosexual behavior between consenting adults generally believe that a person's sexual orientation is determined quite early in life. Thus, sexual expression between same-sex persons is accepted as a normal and essential part of one's life. Since it is "natural" for persons with a homosexual orientation to express themselves sexually with members of the same sex, it would be completely "unnatural" for them to engage in heterosexual union. The scriptural passage in Romans 1 condemning "unnatural" affections between people would therefore not apply to them. They believe this passage condemns persons who are heterosexual by nature but turn against their natural sexual inclinations in sexual behaviors. They further assert that the major thesis in Romans 1 is Paul's declaration that all people have sinned and are in need of salvation, rather than the specific issue of homosexuality. They point to Jesus as one who offers grace and acceptance rather than judgment and condemnation.


For those of you who do not know what passage is being spoken of, Romans 1:26-27 states, "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

Personally, I thought that this passage was perfectly clear. In my mind it simply states that homosexuality is a sin that people have fallen into. But, after reading the discussion of it in "Authentic Human Sexuality," I can understand how people can think this. It's not so much that I now believe that homosexuality is not a sin, I still stand firm on the fact that my God outlines homosexuality as a sin, but at the same time I am now more understanding of the people who believe the opposite.
If nothing else, my mind is constantly being expanded and my opinions are being challenged, making them stronger, or refining them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey! I love your stuff. I didn't realize that i was following you but i guess i am haha. Its kinda weird you are in Rochester, i am going to school in Lima about 20 mins south of Rochester. Kinda neat i guess. I was just wondering what you are going to school for overall. Hit me up :) it would be awesome to talk with you