Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Need to be Loved

I realized that I am a hippie in a certain sense. I just want to give and receive love.
When it comes down to it, it seems as if so many of the problems in this world stem from love, or rather a lack of love.
That is the whole reason I am going into psychology.
I want people who do not think they are loved realize that they are.
I was thinking about this today and had a realization of how unloving Christians can be sometimes. It all turns into a "get everybody saved as quick as possible" thing, and so often love gets overlooked.
I was reminded of a kid from my high school who felt like no one loved him and because of this, he killed himself this past spring.
People did not express to him the love of God.
I remember how only a week or two after he left I was at a bonfire with a couple of my Christian friends when another person brought up his death. They somehow had heard about it from another source, someone who did not know this boy personally. They began to talk about how if he had just been preached the gospel, he would not have killed himself.
Now, I knew this boy, and from what I knew about him, if he had been preached the gospel, he would have rejected it so fast because he had not been showed love.
It bothered me.
I spoke out about how he did not need the gospel when he died, but rather he just needed to be loved.
We need to show people the love of God more than we need to preach at them.
So often preaching at people does nothing more than drive them away, but if you simply love them for who they are, love them where they are at, just as Jesus did, they will be more attracted to the gospel.
As St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the gospel always and if necessary use words."
Show the unlovable God's love.

No comments: