Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, and, if I were to be completely honest with you, I think I missed the purpose of it this year.
You are suppose to spend Thanksgiving thinking about all the things that you should be thankful for, but I don't think I did that.
I seemed to be more preoccupied with what I was doing, and spending time with my family rather than meditating on how immensely blessed I am.
I remember this summer how I was thinking about how there is such a lack of thankfulness in the church, and how, especially young adult Christians, take their blessings for granted. And this bothered me immensely.
Now don't get me wrong, this still hits me straight in the gut when I think about how we are ungrateful, but it amazes me how I've begun to slip back into this cycle of ungratefulness, so much so that I did not even take the time on the day that we set aside for simply giving thanks to be thankful for everything that I have been given in this life.
Maybe I have been desensitized to just how blessed I am.
Maybe I need a renewed revelation of just how much God gave up for me.
Maybe I need to find the disconnect in my own life.
I have been given a warm place to live, three hot meals a day, more clothes than any one girl needs, a shower and more cosmetics than I could ever use.
I have been given a loving family, amazing friends, and a wonderful school.
I am going to a better college than I could have ever wished for, I'm finding more connections to the grad-school I want to go to every day, and I'm graduating a year early from undergrad.
I have a savior who died in my place.
How could I miss all of these things in my life?
How could I miss them on the day meant to be thankful for them?
I guess a day late is better than not at all.
Guess it's just one more thing that I need God to constantly renew in me.

1 comment:

Kellie Scott-Reed said...

This is great Paige. I spent two hours in the morning thanking God for all my blessings and number one was my family and friends..But I don't know if I truly digested it. Thanks for this reminder! I loved seeing you on Thanksgiving and I am thankful for you.