Sunday, November 21, 2010

Toeing the Line

I was ruminating on beauty today....
(I know it's something that has been coming up in my blog a lot lately, but I feel that, especially for my generation of women, it is something that we do not know the true meaning of.)
and a thought popped into my mind that has been eating at me ever since.
It seems there is a fine line that most women need to walk along, a line that we usually fall on one side or the other with.
On one side is the thought, I am not beautiful, there is nothing appealing about me, no guy would ever be attracted to me.
But on the flip side is the thought, I am the best thing to come into this world, I am gorgeous, all the men fall over me, I deserve their attention.
Most of us fall within some variation of these two extremes, but I think that there is a fine line that we must find between the two.
You see, with the thought that I am not beautiful, there is almost a carelessness. Since the girl who falls on that side of the line does not think that any guy could ever be attracted to her, she does not take the care to protect herself from potentially dangerous situations. Guys who do think she's beautiful are lead on by her, guys who would potentially do things to this girl, but because she does not believe that they could be attracted to her, she does not put in the effort to safeguard herself. This is not a good place to be in for any woman.
But, with the thought that I am gorgeous and deserve your attention comes a conceitedness that is not attractive to any respectable man. Sure, guys may initially fall all over someone like this, but this girl is incapable of holding onto a worth-while relationship. She is always better than the guy, and he gets sick of it fast. Although she protects herself from creeps and the "dangerous types", it is still not a good place to be.
Just like the rest of life, beauty is a juggling act.
You have to have enough self-respect, enough dignity to not subjugate yourself to unworthy males.
I have the belief that every girl is beautiful, and therefore should hold themselves to a high standard such as this.
But, at the same time you have to be humble.
Know that you are beautiful, but don't flaunt it to the extreme.
Now, when reflecting on this revelation and how it applies to myself, I know I am nowheres near enough to being on that line as I should be. There are days when I know I do not have the level of self respect that I should have, and yet, as funny as this may sound, there are other days where I find myself being extremely vain and conceited.
However, I do believe that the closer I get to God, the more intently I learn and believe who He says I am, the closer I will get to that line.
I'm not perfect, but God is, and I pray that He helps me get to that line someday.

No comments: