Friday, September 25, 2009

Update on Life

I know it's been a while since I've posted. The whole idea of college life seems to get in the way sometimes. Homework is overrunning my life. I spend anywhere between 2 and 8 hours a day working on homework. Whether it be reading a textbook, doing problems for my statistics class or writing an essay of some sort, it all keeps me busy for a relatively long amount of time. I guess the good thing is that I truly am enjoying myself. I seem to thrive in this thing called college. I find myself more able to balance my school work and my social life than I was ever able to do in high school and I like the feeling of accomplishment that I get here. It's like by making the tiny steps in education that I'm making now, I'm moving closer and closer to my ultimate goal of a doctorate.
One of the things that I find interesting is the fact that my First Year Seminar professor is a lady by the name of Dr. Grimm. Now, first of all, if you don't know what First Year Seminar is, it is a class that helps freshman get through the shock of being thrown into a college environment and deal with all the stresses that come with it. Your First Year professor is basically your guide through your first year of college. The interesting thing about Dr. Grimm is the fact that she's the head of the psychology department and has her doctorate in psychology. Oh, yes. I have ultimate access to the head of the psychology department because of being placed in her First Year class. What I really love about this is how she encourages me in little ways. For every class we have to have a journal entry of some sort that she can grade and when we get them back, they always have little notes on them of some sort. Some of my favourite comments have been:
"Good for you! I absolutely will be cheering for you from the sidelines! Glad you're a psych major!"
"Aha! Your psychologist instincts are already kicking in!"
I love having a person like Dr. Grimm in my life, and I'm sure I'll appreciate her more and more as my years at Roberts increase.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm SO glad you've connected with a professor! that's one thing I just LOVE about Roberts: the connections with professors and other staff.